I abhor racism. The idea that any one person is better or worse than another simply because of skin color or cultural differences is and always has been absurd. Just as absurd is the idea that culture can’t or shouldn’t be shared amongst disparate groups of people. I have no patience for any propaganda that supports the ascension of one group at the expense of another. I used to think that my need for this spite and abhorrence would be able to slowly ebb as societies became more understanding and tolerant of one another, as groups within those societies became more tolerant of one another. I’m afraid I was mistaken.
Racism is in fact still strong in America. The perpetual separation of groups by color, culture and language remains a significant part of our culture. The transition of distrust and hatred from blacks to asians to the middle-eastern to hispanics and back again is perpetually enacted. We are supposed to be a country of open-armed tolerance. A beacon of hope to the world.
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
“Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!” cries she
‘ With silent lips. “Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
We’ve never been perfect, but the desire has always been there for most of us. We should have learned by now, though. Italians, Germans, Irish, Chinese, Polish, Jewish, Japanese, Vietnamese, and now Mexicans. When is it going to end? I propose it ends now, and I’ve got some ideas for how to settle what appear on the surface to be issues about immigration but are in reality about racism.
- Those people here illegally should be allowed to apply for work visas or citizenship immediately with no fear of repercussions.
- America should never declare a national language, culture, or religion. Our identity is in our liberty and openness, not in the way we speak or how we choose — or choose not — to worship.
- All racist ideas need to stop. Now. If you judge a culture by the actions of a few individuals, you’re racist. Knock it off.
- No American or guest of this country should be forced to produce identification or proof of residence unless there is a felony potential.
- All laws that raise up one culture over another should be repealed.
- Stop focusing on one culture per month. How about making sure our history books are accurate rather than highlight or diminish the accomplishments of one culture at a time?
- Learn. From. Our. Mistakes.
That should do it.